Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Getting a IR plip replacement

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 16th October 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via MSN to Azurael
It's a rip-off, and precisely why I only have one plip for my car.

I did get a copy of the key itself cut, and have stashed it safely along with the code to disable the immobiliser. It'll have to do, I guess...

An interesting point that, whether it's even worth spending money on these things is even worth it for an old, high-mileage vehicle. Unfortunately, even though there's very little wrong with my car, it drives perfectly, returns good fuel economy and is damn reliable, I suspect that it may not be worth getting it through the MOT. It definitely needs new rear shocks, and possibly a new O/S spring on the front - I suspect they won't be happy about the fact that it's currently sitting unevenly at the front because I only replaced the broken spring (there seems to be about a 2 inch difference, I only just noticed....) Plus, where one has failed, I don't suppose the other will take long to do the same. There's a big gash in the O/S door sill which would be a pain to have repaired properly, and it needs a new matrix soon - I can't find any tracable leaks, but it's only moderately warm now, and I swear I can smell antifreeze when I first get in it in the morning... It's especially upsetting when I realise I could pick up a just-MOT'd 1.9dTi with aircon (which, remarkably, would be cheaper to insure too?!) for about 700 now. But I'm almost determined to keep this one on the road just 'cause I know it's a dependable car... And doesn't have a spot of rust on it beyond that I've treated and fillered-over on the leading edge of the bonnet.

All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
Currently in Azurael's garage:
TEB64 (Cosmic Grey) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v Privilege Tourer (KG0B F4P-770)/TED44 (Odyssey Blue) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v 'Expressionale' Hatch (BG0B F4P-770)

Last edited by Azurael; 16th October 2008 at 02:11 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome