Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #141 of (permalink) Old 5th May 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re Headless chickens

Originally Posted by ren25
It seems that television has done it again by blowing things up out of all proportions, and the public jumping on the bandwagon. Yeah! I'm sure they're just saying their windscreen got shattered and their roof got dented because they heard it on telly.

The law clearly states that the driver of any vehicle WILL ensure that the vehicle is roadworthy before starting a journey. It was roadworthy when they set off but it became unroadworthy while doing 70 mph down the Mway.

It doesn't say that there are any exceptions for age, sight, hearing or any other disability. In fact going by the letter of the law all drivers which have things fall off etc are liable to be prosecuted. That lets the mechmanics off the hook then (or not as the case may be). Bits falling off... I think you will find that is a totally different context. You'll find that the law is much more thorough than that; but you can quote some case-law if you wish to convince me.

Having scene to what lengths manufacturers go to, to test various components I can't see what else they could do. Any testing is usually of a repetitive nature, but then they are not likely to leave a component unlubricated to the point of it seizing up. We have also seen how good they are at making small economies that, when multiplied by the number of vehicles sold during the lifetime of a model, amount to much improved profit margins. I am not suggesting that they put an inferior catch for the sake of profit, by the way. But if lock and catch both fail simultaneously, something is wrong with the design or the manufacture and no other way about it. TBH, my only bad experience of this was a frayed cable that stopped the lock from returning fully causing it to release the centre pin. A bike cable fixed the problem very nicely as I remember. I think that was on my Austin Westminster (long, long ago).

As stated else where in this thread it seems strange that both catches failed at the same time? and I for one don't need someone to tell me to take my car to a dealer to check my bonnet catches. They would think I had gone bloody mad.
I don't see why they would think that. Not everyone can recognise a weak return-spring on a bonnnet catch, especially when it is covered in grease or goo. How many have actually drawn out cables from their sheath to inspect them? How many clutch cables have to be changed or accellerator cables perhaps? I think you might agree that sharp edges and moving plastic parts do not mix very well.

Just my opinion, that's all.
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome