Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - General Advice On Interior Water Ingress

View Single Post
post #44 of (permalink) Old 19th October 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Scenic water ingress

Hi to all

New to this site, but looking through the site came to this thread

Water ingress into the scenic IS known by renault, it is a major problem,

Cars from 1998 - 2002, and i think others also,

Start and work as listed =

1. Remove wipers, & scuttle at base of windscreen, outside,

2. Inspect, clean, dry, cable loom that goes down from under wiper motor mechanism, this goes into a plastic pipe bend, through the base below the wiper, into engine bay, and into the car up under the dash, above the pedals, below all the carpets & underlay, this pipe looks sealed, BUT IS NOT WATER PROOF,

3. If you can open this pipe bend (it is in 2 parts) open it up and dry it out,

4. Fill it up with a sealant, and refit, cover with sealant on top, and also in the car.

5. When all is back together, cut a plastic box so you have a corner and part of the sides, fill up with sealing compound, and fit this over the cables, it must be a tight fit due to the wiper actuation rods just above the cables, so water will fall on to this new cover a run away from the cables.

6. By now you will have noticed the wiper motor protection cover, where all the water runs off, and onto the cables.

This water can and will fill up the floor of the car level with the doors, and if door seals are in good condition will fill up around 20cms above the floor,

First indication is often the rear under floor storage compartments get damp.......... wet..........flooded........... I know from bitter experience, with a car 8 months old, parked up for 2 weeks, and bailed out 12 gallon, then drained out the sills, then parked the car in a HOT boiler house for 2 weeks after removing all carpets and under lay, all replaced by renault.

And yes I did say 20 gallons

Good luck with the dry-out

Currently in Cowly60's garage:
Scenic, 1.9 dti rn
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome