Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #142 of (permalink) Old 5th May 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by ren25
It seems that television has done it again by blowing things up out of all proportions, and the public jumping on the bandwagon. The law clearly states that the driver of any vehicle WILL ensure that the vehicle is roadworthy before starting a journey. It doesn't say that there are any exceptions for age, sight, hearing or any other disability. In fact going by the letter of the law all drivers which have things fall off etc are liable to be prosecuted.
Having scene to what lengths manufacturers go to, to test various components I can't see what else they could do. Any testing is usually of a repetitive nature, but then they are not likely to leave a component unlubricated to the point of it seizing up.
As stated else where in this thread it seems strange that both catches failed at the same time? and I for one don't need someone to tell me to take my car to a dealer to check my bonnet catches. They would think I had gone bloody mad.

It is always good to look at all aspects of an issue such as this... believe me it has being going around in my head ever since it has happened.

I didn't know about any issues on watchdog or on this forum beforehand.

Now my job is a highly technical job...not cars... but I do have an understanding about how things work. I did read my manual when I got the car and I feel if that if it was pointed out that this system needs special attention I would have done it. There was no indication of any fault beforehand in my case so I had no reason to investigate a part that was not doing its job properly. The same as I didn't check my wheels were not going to fall off or my steering wheel was not going to come off in my hand (they didn't by the way!).

I don't think that the issue would be raised at all if the design on the clio wasn't inferior to other cars. I do feel that the design needs to be looked at and if it is felt that specific maintenance instructions are needed then they should be included in the instruction manual. My car is only four years old and it isn't as if the bonnet catches haven't been operated many times in the cars life... without indication of fault.

Again thanks for your input but I think that most people are not experienced or knowledgable enough in mechanical engineering to foresee a problem such as this happening and if there was a routine safety check specified people would do it.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome