Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Usefull device for Diesel owners

View Single Post
post #19 of (permalink) Old 21st October 2008
Technical Supremo

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 42,935
Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanks: 371
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
There is no evidence to suggest mobile phones are a risk at fuel stations other than some plonker chatting without watching what he/she is doing and spilling fuel over the forecourt. In reality very few vehicle fires are caused by fuel - most are caused by electrical wiring fires but once they get a hold everything can be consumed.
I asked a fireman once what was the biggest cause of vehicle fires in an accident and he replied either a short in the wiring system or brake fluid spilling onto a hot exhaust. The amount of electrical energy required to ignite a fuel/air mix is actually quite high - if you have ever had a shock from an HT spark plug lead you'll know roughly how much
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
madnoel10 is offline  
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome