Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Got to have Timing Belt done now

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 29th October 2008 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Got to have Timing Belt done now

My 98 Espace has reached 172000 so I knew I would have to get timing belt done soon, as it was last done at 101000 well the aux drive belt was flapping around(wife thought is was a bird lol) so had to park the old bus up. After ringing round countless garages I have finally bit the bullet and dropped it off to one of them,after cutting the flappy belt off. I cant believe how heavy the steering was without it knew it would be but wasnt expecting to strain against it(only had to go 2 miles).

I am having the cambelt/tensioners/water pump/drive belt and tensioners including the big sprung loaded one and have been quoted just under 555 which I thought was a fair price considering most garages I spoke to said the sprung loaded tensioner shouldnt need replacing, but my view is while they are there they may aswell do the job properly and hopefully my old bus will go well over the 200000 miles mark.

I was going to leave it till it snapped (after reading here about followers breaking instead of valves bending) because it has never had a head gasket done and would have done all at that time. Hopefully the H/G wont give out in 6 months

Theres one good thing though took the wifes 95 BMW 325td for MOT this morning and it sailed through for the second year so she thinks shes super motorist at the moment

I wear the trousers in our house

She just tells me what colour :D
Currently in zinx's garage:
1998 Grand Espace RXE Full Leather 2.2dt G8T

Last edited by zinx; 29th October 2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added summat
  5 Lastest Threads by zinx
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio 1.9d Engine swap now wont start Electronics zinx 5 2060 1st August 2009 04:26 PM
Peugeot 106 - Cooling System Info Other makes zinx 4 5003 26th May 2009 08:51 PM
Anyone interested in Bonsai Trees? General Chat Trudge 8 2023 22nd April 2009 09:26 PM
Another Years Motoring Cars & motoring geoffhill 9 2075 16th April 2009 07:45 PM
My Mood Option Gone Feedback & Announcements Donald 15 2353 27th March 2009 07:52 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome