Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Immobiliser & Key Problem Fixed Easily & Cheaply

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 29th October 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Immobiliser & Key Problem Fixed Easily & Cheaply

Hello all.

Just to inform people of a useful contact and service fro immobiliser problems.
I am writing about my Kangoo, but the company concerned deal with many other Renault models.

When I bought my Kangoo 10 months ago, it came with 2 keys. One would remotely open doors and start the vehicle and the second would only open the doors.
I did not remedy the problem with the non working key and 2 weeks ago the second working key started to malfunction.
The initial symptom was stalling immediately after starting, which went on for 3 – 4 days until one day it would not start and the immobiliser would not disarm and the light in the instruments just continued to flash rapidly. With patience and coaxing ( trying the key time and time again for half an hour) it would eventually start.
In this condition I took it to my local Renault main agent in *******.
They listened to my description of the symptoms, and then allegedly tested the keys in some test device they have, and decreed one key not working and the other functional.
They decreed I needed a new key and reprogramming - £ 97.00. + £ 80.00. and that the problem would be rectified.
I asked how this could be, surely if the key was working, then why would the car not start? & why would the immobiliser not disarm?
They retested the key (I did not see this directly) Then they returned to the service desk and said they had retested the key and it worked, they went and tried it in my vehicle and it did not work. They retested again and on that occasion it had showed to be not working – in short an intermittent fault.
So, I would need 2 keys, but would only need to pay for one session of reprogramming, all in all a little short of £ 300.00. Then it got better – they keys were “special” - only available from France, would take 7 – 10 days to arrive, assuming that they were ordered on the Monday. On their arrival he car would need to be booked in for a workshop session.
The keys had to be paid for in advance and the money was non refundable. I was unconvinced and asked what would happen if the keys did not sort out the problem.
The parts mans answer was “then we would have mislead you” but nothing more.
I let left a photocopy of some ID and V5c and went home to mull it over. I could call them on Monday and give the go head if required.

Once home I went on-line to follow up on the recollection of a website I found when previously surfing for info on buying & programming keys.

I again found the website at the following URL -

I made contact, made an appointment for the following day, and was given concise and clear instructions regarding the components of the car that I needed to bring with me.
I required both keys, the pick up ring from around the ignition barrel ( a grey plastic ring with small electrical plug accessed by removing cowls around column switches) and the immobiliser unit ( a black wedge shaped box with a blue multi pin plug mounted on the rear of the dash. Access is by removing the cover over the instruments and the instrument unit which was very easy. Less easy was removing the box from the dash, the 20 torx head screws were put in before mounting the dash and very a fiddle to remove. These were replaced with hex head self tappers to make the reassembly much easier.)

I took all these objects and travelled up to Stoke on Trent to my rendezvous with Automotive electronics. They also provide a mail order service.
I waited for my units to be checked.
The verdict was returned – both keys worked!! as did the pick up ring, the fault was in the box, it was a regular fault caused by the degrading of the circuit board due to its location by the heater outlet causing it to pass through a repeated hot / cold temperature cycle.
I was given the option of the complete removal of the immobiliser feature or its repair which was preferred and also recommended.
The unit was repaired in a way that would be permanent and the keys were both fitted with a new transponder. All the units were tested and demonstrated to be working on a really neat little test rig made by Automotive Electronics.
I paid the bill £ 104.00. a bargain for all working with 2 keys !!
I returned home and fitted all the parts (about 1 hours work) Bingo all was working and is still working now. I was off the road for 36 hours.
A total bargain and a brilliant repair by people who understand what they are doing.
Forget Renault, go to Automotive Electronics.

One thing I did learn during my visit was that the Renault system takes 30 seconds to clear after an attempt to disarm. So if you try a key, and it fails to immobilise,do not try with a second key until 30 seconds has elapsed or it will still be trying to immobilise off the back of the first keys attempt. I wish I had known this earlier because when my key intermittently failed I was sat there twisting the key time and time again until it eventually worked and had I known to wait, I would have probably got it started earlier.
Currently in cornerpoet's garage:
2001 Kangoo RXE

Last edited by Pat.w; 29th October 2008 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Dealers location removed
The Following User Says Thank You to cornerpoet For This Useful Post:
pastieman (9th February 2011)
  5 Lastest Threads by cornerpoet
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Kangoo Pollen Filter Heating & cooling madnoel10 1 3335 15th April 2009 01:32 PM
Immobiliser & Key Problem Fixed Easily &... Electronics pastieman 1 3400 29th October 2008 05:43 PM
Remote Key Part Identification Electronics cornerpoet 2 1360 29th September 2008 07:29 AM
Help with Part Number Identification Cars & motoring madnoel10 1 1140 17th March 2008 07:35 AM
Where is OBD2 ECU Data Port Electronics Vanmike 2 3802 17th January 2008 06:08 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome