Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #148 of (permalink) Old 7th May 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by Paulo
Yeah mate I mean't seized!!!!

The cable was moving a bit slack in the point were it is grabbed by the mechanism... (like on bicycle brakes)... but the mechanism had seized in the open position.. maybe due to corrosion of the metal. If I'm understanding correctly, you mean the little flat plate that locks the bonnet down (not shown in picture because it's the other part of the lock, i.e on the bit that runs across the car near the front grille). This is one of two places where the tensile strength of the spring is critical because it has to be strong enough to positively secure the phallic-like shaft that locates into it when the bonnet is dropped.

The other critical spring is the one that returns the safety catch to the fully locked position. It is visible in the picture at the top of the 'hook' assembly (at the back almost against the skin of the bonnet, coiled around the pin/shaft on which the 'hook' swivels). This has to be strong enough to drive the whole plastic assemble including the 'puller' through the 'dowel'. It might be not quite strong enough to do the job. It also has to have room for movement.

The other large-diameter spring (showing in your picture) is not as critical. It presses the shaft upwards against the flat bit that is moved by the release cable when you open the bonnet. It also stops your bonnet from rattling when shut.

The plastic dowel red in attached image holds the plastic lever in the incorrect position in the direction of the arrow (hopefully if i've done to piccy in the right way...its not mine by the way!).

This 'dowel' is the guide that stops the lever from flailing about and is there also to provide a uni-track for its travel. It should be completely free to allow travel.

...and yes I think it is flat surface friction.. I have a video of the operation of this catch...

If so, then the surfaces may have contorted probably because of heat as I explained before. I could be that these assemblies don't have enough clearance and cannot tolerate any undulations. The density and expansion coefficient of the particular plastic will have a bearing on what temperatures it can tolerate; leaving the car in the sun on a very hot day can raise the surface to very high temperatures (DON'T try sitting on it in wet swimming trunks to find out how hot!!! Or the girl friend in her bikini either!!!)

I didn't notice any bonnet sounds or see it moving... I think the main catch was engaged partially when I was drving... I think I would noticed my bonnet was loose during 30 miles of driving. I think you would have noticed as soon as you went over 20 mph or so.

I am now waiting to see about what Renault officially say... Good luck. I hope they do the honourable thing.

By the way are you a materials engineer or something Vass? You seem to know quite a bit on the subject. No mate... just an old guy with a lot of mileage and much troubleshooting under his belt. I don't like to hear of anyone being BS'd in preparation for a rip-off... So I had to learn the hard way.
I look forward to a satisfactory outcome for you. Your biggest problem will IMHO not be Renault, but some employee trying to justify his wages in the wrong manner.

Regards to all,
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome