Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Life in the old Sat Nav yet

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 1st November 2008 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Eeeps View Post
After 6 years without problems, my Laguna's Carminat Sat Nav finally got the dreaded Red Satellite Icon.

Using the great advice and experience from this forum I bought a GPS arial from e-bay (£10 all in).

Plugged it in and sure enough satellite icon went green. However when I drove the car it lost the signal again.
If I place the ariel on the roof then it picks up a signal.

So I decided to look for a replacement for the Shark Fin and found this ...

Not tried it yet; that job will be interesting.

However, I also thought I'd take a look at the Navigation unit in the glove box. When I opened it I was surprised to find it used a standard GPS receiver module.

This is manufactured by Trimble and is known as the Lassen SK-8. I also discovered that you can still get these modules for about £45. These are an up-rated but compatible unit call the Lassen SK-II. Couldn't resist; so I bought one.

The Lassen has a serial interface that is quite easy to connect to a PC. Trimble also have some great software on their site to allow configuration and monitoring...

Attachment 6539

So far I've managed to read the configuration from the Carminat's Lassen unit and save it to the new module.

The only problem replacing the old unit with the new one is that the connector used is different - just need to find a suitable alternative.

So if anyone has a faulty Sat Nav where the satellite symbol is red and this did not get fixed by a replacement ariel this may be the solution.

Quick update on this.

Fitted the replacement Shark fin today - slightly taller than the original but fits easily. Now working fine.

I also replaced the GPS receiver in the carminat unit with the more recent version.

Everything now working fine.

I did take a look at the old Shark fin. The failure seems to be caused by corrosion on the internal components. Although there are rubber seals to stop water ingress I guess the corrosion could be caused by condensation. Moisture in the cabin air can find its way into the ariel. Since this is effectively outside it is quite possibly cold.

I expect most ariels will fail like this eventually so getting one from a breakers may not be a good idea.

Currently in Eeeps's garage:
2011 Clio III dCi 88 Dynamique and 2016 CitroŽn Grand C4 Picasso Exclusive+ EAT6 2.0 BlueHDi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome