Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Rear Suspension Knock,Shock Absorbers Commonly Snapping

View Single Post
post #64 of (permalink) Old 3rd November 2008
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via Skype™ to SamWoerth
Red face Rear shock absorber failure

Megane, Scenic & Clio reported to have this trouble. I.E. shaft snaps off at the top, immediately at the weld on to the metal bush that contains the rubber top bush. If the shock absorber is an original Renault one, it will have a bell shaped housing into which the shaft is welded. So if the shaft snaps, then at least the shaft is retained (provided you are gentle with your driving) - Banging will still occur though. Other parts manufacturers do not have this bell shape. One suspects that welding the Renault design was a difficult procedure. The competition manufacturers have a far easier job to control the welding. When mine snapped I took it up with various trade people, they reported a history of this particular failure. Finally - So did Renault , BUT as my car was a 2002
Renault more or less said 'Too Bad!' Very attentive though & plenty of attention.
I understand the Megane II has a different, possibly HD shock absorber.
FINALLY and most importantly -
Previously when I've installed new shockers on a car, its been unbolt, present & bolt on the new tackle - drive away.
The special system of refitting the Renault shockers is
essential for a successful long life replacement.
Check & carry out the instructions to the latter.
I personally suspect that the new vehicles were not
fitted according to the current procedure. I cannot see how they could do it on a production line. Setting the correct angle is essential and makes sense. Yes! The rubber bushes can give some tolerance, however having the shockabsorber on adverse stress alwasys, cannot be sensible. Other vehicles or later models may not need such a routine. Procedure is simple to do.
Currently in SamWoerth's garage:
1.6 Megane Saloon MkII 04 - previous MkI - wrote off- back ended
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome