Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Key card & steering lock

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 3rd November 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 2 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Originally Posted by jyt View Post
My key card door switch recently broke so after Renault told me the price of new card I decided to have a go at fixing it with help of electronic technician at work. Unfortunatly more was broken than expected and the card then failed completely. RAC towed the car to Renault dealer (cross Roads) while the new card was on its way. They called me to say that the diagnostic computer has found that the steering lock was faulty and it cost 600 to change!! I don't really believe in such a coincidence and think that the garage is trying to cure a problem the expensive way.
Has anyone had this problem before where the steering locked itself after a card failure/change?
Also since I said to the dealer that I was on my way to see it he called me strait back saying that they will try to sort the problem a different way...
Originally Posted by jyt View Post
New card is already there (4 days!!??) and dealer is now saying that it can't be programed because of jammed steering I don't believe it but what can I do... I may go tomorrow to physically check that they do have a new key.
You could give Renault Customer Services a call to see what their input is.

There was a problem with some Renault models steering lock/columns .

Best have a word with the workshop face to face in my experiance.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome