Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - VED rises for Motorbikes!!!

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 5th November 2008 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Originally Posted by VelSatisfied View Post
Another thing worth bearing in mind is the environmental cost of mining and transporting the platinum, rhodium and palladium which is needed to produce these catalysts - a bit like the materials involved for hybrid batteries - is it a case of 'saving' the planet at any cost to the earth?

I remember reading something on this, I can't remember the exact details, but the jist of it was that the mining process to get the various metals to go into hybrid batteries and hydrogen pwered batteries did cause alot of pollution, and also the impact on the earth of being dug up! Then you have the manufacturing process of the batteries to add to that.

Also when thinking of hydrogen powered vehicles, they use hydrogen to convert to electricity and the bi product is water. Completly pollution free yes...... No. The current processes they use to create hydrogen uses vast amounts of electricity in the process. This is burning lots of fossil fuels to generate the electricity, so the pollution aspect is still there, possibly more so than running on petrol... I dunno.

Seems like we're tyring to rob peter to pay paul on this one. Not you Paul (Vel)
Currently in Mikey's garage:
1996 Mazda MX-3 V6, a 2002 1.2 8v Fiat Punto active (the Wife's!) and a 1998 Suzuki GN 125. Used to own a 2002 Laguna II Dynamique 1.8 16V (Now Sold yey!)

Last edited by Mikey; 5th November 2008 at 09:08 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome