Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 04 Scenic 1.6 DAB radio - no signal

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 5th November 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
According to the BBC website .

To listen to DAB radio in your car, you need a DAB aerial – an FM/AM aerial will not work.

It is no guarantee they are right of course
Well the Beeb kind of shoot themselves in the foot really, I quote from that site ...
<Aerial: make sure the radio's aerial is fully extended, whether it is the telescopic type or a thin wire.>
<To listen to DAB radio in your car, you need a DAB aerial – an FM/AM aerial will not work.>

So if you listen indoors then a telescopic aerial is OK but if you are outdoors then it isn't! <sigh> I wish someone would read this stuff before they publish it.

OK I am being pedantic but this radio worked in my previous Mondeo with the bog standard Ford aerial.

What the Beeb is referring too I suspect are aerials with internal RF amps and possibly some sort of filter or the length of the mast? I had a Lexus that adjusted it's aerial length depending on the frequency of the radio station you were listening to (FM).

For DAB you need a shorter aerial than for FM but even for FM most car aerials bear no relationship to operating wavelength. For instance compare the length of the Scenic roof aerial with those on your house roof. The Scenic is way too short.

I'd be happy to stick with FM but I like DAB for the extra stations (radio 7 and five live).

Perhaps I'd better start saving for one of those three way replacement aerials (FM/DAB/SATNAV) but the thought of undoing the headlining and feeding three cables through to the front fills me with dread.

Thanks for the input.

Currently in DerryUK's garage:
2004 Scenic Expression 1.6
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome