Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Sold my Laguna (and off-putting comments for anyone considering buying one).

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 6th November 2008 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Sold my Laguna (and off-putting comments for anyone considering buying one).

Just a note to let you all know that I've sold my Laguna. I had it 3 years and the mileage was 22000 when I got it, and 52000 when sold. I must be honest and state that for a newish and low mileage car it's been the worst car I've ever had and I don't think I'll be buying another Renault ever.

The list of things I've had to do to it is almost endless...

Rear suspension bushes at 28000 miles.
Engine management light coming on when it feels like it (partially cured but still rears its ugly head now and then).
Front spring broke sitting on the driveway.
Exhaust mounts broken (28 from Renault - there's 2 on the back box).
Tyre pressure monitoring receiver.
Drivers window regulator.
Air filter housing rattle.
Rear brake caliper seizing every couple of months.
Bonnet cable snapped.
2 broken windscreens (ok they could be any car I suppose).
Dash display sometimes not showing anything.
Leak from sun visor vanity light if car left facing downhill in heavy rain.
Air con condenser.
Boot lock sometimes didn't open with rest of car.
Both headlight bulbs blown at the same time.

Then there's general service items...Timing belt, full set of discs and pads all round, filters, battery etc.

Then there's the niggles...Dash rattle, intermittent engine hesitation, taking forever to get warm, engine cooling fan running even when cold, rear window demister coming on of its own accord, etc etc. And I personally don't like the keycard (you know where you keep your keys ie pocket etc, but you're not sure where to put the card in case you sit on it or something).

However there's some plusses for it... Its quiet, comfy, had a good stereo, has some nice toys, fuel comsumption is good, and it never actually let me down (except the flat battery).

All in all if I compare it to my Dad's X reg 2.2 petrol Vectra. He's had it a year longer than my Laguna, bought with 18000 miles and now has 50 odd thousand. Sure it's had the servicing, the front brakes (no discs needed tho), the battery, and an exhaust only last week. Oh and his air con doesn't work since last year so he could probably factor in a condenser. No annoying bi-monthly brake strip downs etc there. It seems like the Renault is made of papier mache in comparison.

Although the Renault is now gone I'll still be on here when I have time and hope to continue to help out with some of the problems others encounter.
Currently in mister_cee333's garage:
Toyota Avensis 1.8. Formerly Jaguar X Type Sport d 2005. Formerly 2001 Laguna 2 1.9 dCi
  5 Lastest Threads by mister_cee333
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Sold my Laguna (and off-putting comments for... Cars & motoring TTT 7 2446 6th November 2008 08:06 AM
Advice Wanted - Which Sat Nav to Choose? Cars & motoring mister_cee333 9 1766 24th October 2008 06:36 PM
X Type Jaguar Diesel Non Starter Engines madnoel10 1 1782 28th September 2008 03:30 PM
Renault - Laguna II - dci Engine Management Light... Laguna Tolak 24 33017 17th June 2008 07:56 PM
Renault Laguna 2 - Knock From Front Near Side Wheels & tyres toaster999 12 7291 1st June 2008 09:45 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome