Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Engine management light

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 7th November 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hi all and thanks for the replies.

MIL stands for 'Multifunction Indicator Lights'
And it was bought private.

At switch on I get the 'ign' , ' oil ' and 'hand brake' lights on as you should.
The slow flash of the immobiliser changes to on for a second or two then off (correct).
The 'low petrol' warning lights briefly as a test.
The Fasten seat belt light comes on.
The Air Bag light does not test due to the srewdiver modification!
The engine management or 'Electronic incident' as Renault call it (as you said a glow plug and heart beat in a box) does not come on as a test (The handbook doesn't say it should) But warns if it comes on when driving consult dealer. With the engine running I have unplugged a few sensors (Lamda etc) to see if the light comes on, but it doesn't. Should it?
The ABS light also stays off ( the car does not have ABS ) so that ok.
The problem is they are not 'bulbs' but LEDs (light emmiting diodes) and the are directly soldered to the board, so cannot be changed or swapped around without stripping the dash pod totally to bits and getting out my soldering iron.
I have had the pod out and glass, pointers and face off, plus the back off. But would need to go even further if I replaced the LEDs, then it may not go together again

So what I really need to know is how can I tell if I have an engine fault without plugging it in to a reader? If the light on the dash is dead it could work out expensive to get the codes checked at a garage every time I think I may have a problem, hense the cheap eBay reader.

Either that or a new dash pod ( expensive I guess)

Any thoughts?

Thanks Andy
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome