Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Fuss over MOT examination

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10th November 2008 Thread Starter
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
Fuss over MOT examination

I have been involved in the motor trade for around 40 years and I have found many drivers thinking of buying a used car think if it has a current MOT certificate it is a measure of the cars quality and reliability. When in fact all an MOT certificate means that it was up to an acceptable safety standard at one moment in time. It could fail on a safety aspect or breakdown within minutes of it having it's MOT. Many motorists think - well it had its MOT - it should be OK for another year forgetting an MOT is only an inspection and in itself does not entail any prevenative or service maintainance. Personally I think too many people including car sales outlets place far too much importance on an MOT when in reality they should be concentrating on service history and independent pre-sales inspection reports.
Good servicing and maintenance is much, much more important. The number of times I have went to a car breakdown only to hear the driver say "It was MOT'ed just last week" - why has happened. I used to take the time and explain but nowadays I just smile and have a inward chuckle to myself.
An MOT certificate is no gauge of quality or reliabilty no matter what anyone says. A well maintained car usually passes MOT first time anyway

Thats my rant over for another wee while
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
  5 Lastest Threads by madnoel10
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Changed my Motta Cars & motoring A55ii 5 109 1st October 2016 04:51 PM
Ford Focus C-max Cars & motoring batfink5 2 63 21st September 2016 02:32 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome