Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Fuss over MOT examination

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11th November 2008
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Some very points made there.

Caravans and trailers should have a yearly test,absolutely agree.We've all seen the home made trailers that look distinctly unsafe and caravans that are plainly just about to disintergrate.

All of the information and all of the test standards and regulations are freely available to the general,you can't have a system any other way to be honest,but as said many people don't really know or understand what it's primary function is.It really does get on my t1ts when people complain about having to pay 50 a year to make sure their car is safe.If you can't afford to spend that amount once a year to make sure your car isn't going to kill either yourself or another road user,then you don't deserve to have a vehicle at all.I know it only shows a small snippet of a cars condition,but it is there primarily for safety.If anyone wants to learn more about exactly what an MOT is all about it's all on the VOSA website,you can even download copies of their magazine 'Matters Of Testing' which gives even more of an insight.I have been a believer of making basic car maintenance part of the driving test for a long time,and I think I'm right in saying that a certain amount has been added.May be it would be a good idea for a new driver to sit in on an MOT test as part of their driver training,hopefully it would put an end to all the myths and untruths that abound about it.

I know it's easy for me as I am 'on the inside' when it comes to testing,but even I have had my eyes opened over the last 6 or so years since I've been an NT.The standards set by the test are pretty poor to be honest,but I still believe whole heartedly in the system.It does have it's faults,but by and large it works very well.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome