Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Fuss over MOT examination

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11th November 2008 Thread Starter
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
I would agree Lagdti - I have read the test standards set by VOSA and find them very lax in some respects and open to interpretation by the individual tester although no matter what standards are set down there is always going to be that risk. Over here in Northern Ireland where the test centres are government run the standards are much higher and therefore a higher failure rate. Whilst a UK mainlnd certificate is legal over here - most Norhern Ireland motorists would prefer a local one purely on the grounds that the sytem is more rigorous. Additionally if there is a dispute regarding any aspect the car owner has the right to appeal. Although there is a fee for such appeals - should the driver suceed the fee is refunded.

Most importantly the test centres are not permitted to carry out any repair work and if a vehicle is found to be in a dangerous condition they have the right to impound the vehicle until it can be removed by a truck. If a vehicle fails it can be re-submitted within 14 days and only the points of failure are re-checked - beyond this the vehicle must be submitted for a full test. The failure rate is around 20%. I wonder how that figure compares with the UK mainland test centres.
The downside is that if your vehicle failed due to a duff bulb or such you have to take the vehicle away and bring it back again.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l

Last edited by madnoel10; 11th November 2008 at 05:51 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome