Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna II (1999) immobiliser intermittent - related to speed of turning key?

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 16th November 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanks, Lagdti.

Unfortunately I only have one key. I did remove the chip from it and try positioning it closer to the coil (thinking that if my problem was caused by marginal sensitivity I could mount it beside the coil permanently). The first time I did it - bingo - it worked but didn't work again the next time I had a problem. It's back in the key now. It's unlikely to be the chip as it's total encapsulated. It doesn't seem to be related to the adjustable steering position, etc.

I understand that the central locking (by radio) and the immobiliser (by transponder) are separate functions. My question was is there any relationship between the unlocking of the car and the timing of turning on the ignition. (I know the ECU must be aware of the central locking status because the sequence for re-synch of the key-fob to the central locking involves holding down the central locking button until the immobiliser light goes out. You then have 15s to press the key fob to teach the code to the central locking.) So, if the ECU is aware of the locking status does the time between unlocking and 'ignition on' affect the reliability of the immobiliser? It seems unlikely but there could be many quirks in the programming.

Currently in transistor's garage:
1999 Laguna RT
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome