Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 04 Scenic 1.6 DAB radio - no signal

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 18th November 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
04 Scenic - DAB - doh!

I wrote previously about lack of DAB signal on my Sony DAB radio in the Scenic. FM, MW,LW all worked ok though.
Radio worked ok previously in a Mondeo.

I had kind of convinced myself that the problem was the Renault aerial so (foolishly) bought a mag base DAB aerial from (excellent company with near instant delivery) to try.

Aerial arrived today and ............ still no DAB signal. Hmmmm so I read the Sony manual again and tried manual tuning. I had been using the built-in auto tune and store function. Blow me manual worked! So something wrong with the auto tune then.

I then tried the Renault aerial and that worked as well!! D'oh! I wish I wasn't so impulsive <sigh>.

So I am now a happy chappy again with Radio 5 live sans the atmospherics you get on MW.

Incidentally the Renault aerial is 30cm long and the ideal length for DAB is between 33 and 43cm so the length is better suited to DAB than FM (quarter-wave lengths here).

Now all I need is a roof mounted aerial for my TomTom and I'll be a happy man. I'd like to fit a combined aerial in place of the Renault one but the pyrotechnics under the roof lining worry me.

One question though does anyone know how to turn on the radio without having to start the engine? The manual says press the start button but it does nothing on mine.

Currently in DerryUK's garage:
2004 Scenic Expression 1.6
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome