Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How do I scrap a car?!

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 19th November 2008 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
How do I scrap a car?!

(Possibly the wrong thread, sorry)

Following gearbox failure the Scenic is officially dead. If it were just the gearbox I'd consider a fix, but there are other transmission/drive niggles that'll need sorting out sooner rather than later, and it's not getting any younger or less beaten up.

The RAC have deposited it on my driveway, and it's a non-runner. I've cancelled the insurance and removed the tax disc, but the rest of it's a bit confusing.

When I apply for a road tax refund do I need to SORN it, even if it's only going to be here for a few more days? The directgov website is clear as mud.

Haven't spoken to anyone about removing it. Am I likely to actually receive some money for the car, given that it needs collection?

Is there a difference between breakers and scrappers, or are they all the same people? The main reason I ask is that, if it's being taken for metals rather than car parts, then I'll put it in 'The Marketplace' for a couple of days to see if anyone wants to come to sunny Lewisham SE14 and swap out light lenses, wheels, seats, small engine bay bits, etc etc etc...
Currently in mojolicious's garage:
2001 Ford Focus 1.9TD(d)i Estate in the incredibly luxurious 'LX' trim :)
  5 Lastest Threads by mojolicious
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
F*rd forum General Chat martyboi 13 2321 12th January 2009 05:30 PM
How do I scrap a car?! Cars & motoring VelSatisfied 1 1254 19th November 2008 11:27 AM
Mk1 Scenic revvy issues Engines mojolicious 13 2440 12th November 2008 05:54 PM
Can the expansion tank cap fail? Engines Bob925 16 6987 20th June 2008 04:02 PM
Advice on kid's bike Cycling Club 21 3855 17th June 2008 05:52 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome