Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #150 of (permalink) Old 9th May 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Paulo
I had a Renault engineer and my insurers representative looking at my car today....

They both agreed that...

Main catch cable mechanism moved freely but the return mechanism had ceased... Problem 1

The safety catch return was being hindered by the plastic dowel holding the lever...Problem 2

The guy from renault reckoned I was driving with just the safety catch holding the bonnet and I have hit a bump that has loosened it or something... my insurers suggested that it could have been due to the non/partial return of the safety catch.

If it is down to safety catch return due to the plastic on plastic hinderance which I believe it is...then I think it is a poor design and Renault should recall and rectify for other people...The return spring for this mechanism is strong but the plastic design of the lever stops the spring working properly. If you push the lever slightly when it is open the spring recoils the mechanism very positively.... I don't know if I have explained this well... I am trying to find my PC bluetooth adapter to put on some pics.

I will now have to wait for an official response from Renault (and my insurers).
I think it is unreasonable of the Renault engineer to suggest that you were driving with just the safety catch holding the bonnet, putting some of the responsibility onto you, as they noted that part of the main catch was siezed.
Unfortunately there is no way of proving if the bonnet was fully shut or not before the accident.
If the bonnet was fully closed before, as I assume it was, then Renault really need to address this issue. I hope they act responsibly and do not try to wriggle out of this.
Currently in andy_tech's garage:
Ford Mondeo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome