Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - pitted windscreen

View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 25th November 2008
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,852 Posts
Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
So in response to Lagunaman's original post it may be possible to get his windscreen polished in order to remove the scratch marks
It really depends on the type of damage involved.

Scratches normally occur when wipers are used in dusty conditions, or judder across the screen (or the rubber is peeling off the blade). These can be polished out by a certain amount (I have such a machine), but care must always be exercised not to skim off too much glass, otherwise optical effects can be created through altering the shape of the glass.

Chips need filling. If it is purely surface (i.e. not reaching the laminate), then the clear surface filler resin (which is what's used at the last stage of a normal repair) can be applied. It is UV activated, but normal daylight will cause it to go off in around 30 mins, and any excess can be scraped off with a sharp blade.

Its really down to what the owner can obtain quotes for vs his insurance excess, and deciding what is the most appropriate method to follow.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome