Thread: tinted windows
View Single Post
post #48 of (permalink) Old 2nd December 2008
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to SpikeTM
Originally Posted by Tiggerz_SRi View Post

TBH even my tints, (which i want darker tbh) If I am honest dramatically reduce visibility at dusk onwards.

They show mine aint THAT dark but I want them darker
You only need to see where you are going not where you've been anyway lol

Back on Subject

The responsibility for enforcing the rules among car owners in this country now lies with the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA), which was created on 1 April 2003. Full details of the organisation can be found online at - the short story is that VOSA looks after things like testing schemes (including the MOT test), licence applications for bus and lorry drivers, advice to commercial operators, accident investigation and so on.

VOSA is itself empowered to stop vehicles for roadside checks in North Wales, Cambridgeshire, Staffordshire, Northumberland and Greater Manchester. Elsewhere it works in conjunction with the police.

The legal position is that the front side windows on all cars must allow 70% of light to pass through them. That figure also applies to the windscreens of cars first used before April 1985; any car first used from then onwards has to let 75% of light through the windscreen.

Through A Glass Darkly

This is, of course, a safety issue. The darker a window, the less chance there is of the driver being able to see pedestrians and other motorists, and take any avoiding action that may be required. On the other hand, darkened windows do make a car look quite dramatic, so it's easy to see their appeal among cruisers.

The level of light transmission is measured by metering units which cost up to 500 each. Supplying them for roadside checks across the country has cost VOSA 13,000. Another way of doing it would have been to include the measurement as part of the MOT test, but since there are 18,000 MOT test centres in the UK the equipment budget would have rocketed to 90 million, and the extra time added to the test would have led to an increase in the fee - all this for a very small proportion of UK cars.

If the meter registers figures better than those mentioned above during a roadside check, there is no problem. If between 45% and 65% of light gets through, the driver is advised to have the tinting removed, failure to do which might result in a prosecution and a fine of up to 2000.

[Source ]
Hope all this helps
Currently in SpikeTM's garage:
2005Grand Scenic Dynamique 1.6 16vvt

Last edited by SpikeTM; 2nd December 2008 at 10:46 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome