Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Replacing a standard stereo with an aftermarket one

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 7th December 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Replacing a standard stereo with an aftermarket one

This is my first post on this forum after using the search feature to try and find the answer to my questions, i cannot see anyone who has actually had their questions answered specifically.

Right, as with most other owners of the Laguna II, I have had problems with the GPS / Stereo system. I bought my 2002 Sport Tourer with the screen / GPS not working, but the stereo worked - even though you couldnt see what CD track you were playing / radio station (because the screen was not displaying anything).

So i started off thinking that it was the screen itself that must be faulty, so i bought a new screen and fitted it but that didnt solve the problem! So i did a bit of digging around on the internet (hadnt found this forum at this point!) and decided to replace the GPS CD unit in the glove box. As soon as i plugged the new unit in, the display lit up and displayed a grey background with the time on it, but nothing else!

So i decided to replace the GPS control unit (the bit above the stereo). Once i had replaced this unit, everything to do with the GPS worked fine, but the only 2 languages available to select are German or French!

Here are my questions.

Firstly, does anyone know which specific CD i need to be able to load English language onto the system? I phoned Renault and they said it would be a 30 CD but couldn't assure me it was the right one, and if it didnt work i couldn't have my money back, so i have dismissed that idea!

Secondly, i have given up trying to get the original stereo to work, because i don't think the stereo fitted in the car is the original one that came with the car, although it is a Renault stereo and looks like the same as one that would have been fitted as standard. Speaking to Renault, there are about 5 different part numbers for the stereo's and they all look very similar. So, basically i have decided to rip out the Renault stereo and fit an aftermarket one. However, i don't know what adapters / leads i need to connect it up to the original loom and for use with the steering wheel controls.

The stereo i have got has the standard ISO connectors so i need a ISO - Renault harness, but i cant see one anywhere on the internet - can anyone send me a direct link or if not, a part number? Also, the same applies to the steering wheel controls - is this supported with aftermarket stereo's? if so, part number or direct link would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance and sorry this post is so long!

Currently in lcheater's garage:
2002 Renault Laguna II Sport Tourer 1.9dCi
  5 Lastest Threads by lcheater
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Coil Dash Light - 2002 Laguna II 1.9 dci Engines lcheater 3 3912 24th May 2009 04:45 PM
Replacing a standard stereo with an aftermarket... Electronics gemsdad 11 6145 7th December 2008 12:24 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome