Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - At what point does a Diesel become uneconomical?

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10th December 2008 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Send a message via MSN to tankface
Originally Posted by Lagdti View Post
Having said that,I'm sure that if you drove a new 2 litre diesel VW you'd probably fall in love with it.
December last year we got rear-ended in Dad's vectra. With it being a company car, we got a 2.0TDi DSG passat from Avis...saying no more, that's why I want one

Originally Posted by dave_mezza2006 View Post
depends if were talking about a Renault dci diesel engine or not !
Primarily I was looking at the VAG TDi/DSG combo - I haven't heard any nightmares with VAGs diesels, then again I've not really been looking for them That's another thing though - are Renault going to develop their own Twin-clutch box? Or nick Nissan's? Or can the idea because its another french thing to go wrong?

Originally Posted by dave_mezza2006 View Post
Get an IDE engine.. thats what I say. Low end torque, good acceleration etc etc

I got on "ooohhh weeee" out of my little girl today when I floored it around a car and the IDE screamed into life !

Even my 4 year old has taste !
My Dad's Vectra is the 2.2Direct and to be honest, whilst it is perky, I haven't ever really noticed the torque. It's smooth for a 4-pot though, I'll give GM credit for that!

Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
The link below may help give a clearer picture of calculating overall costs of motoring
Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
In all honesty you would need to do your sums on this aspect.
You need to consider the whole picture
Will a diesel car cost me more to buy
Will a diesel car hold its value better
Which car will do the best mpg or cost per mile
What are the tax and insurance implications
What are the likely maintenance costs - diesels tend to be a bit more expensive at service time, etc

The best way is to set up a spreadsheet and calculate the overall cost per mile of running as fuel isn't the only cost of running a car and the fewer miles you do per year the fuel cost in some aspects can be the least of your expenses.
I travel about 2,000 miles per year mostly on short runs and I reckon my annual fuel bill at around £250 per year yet I spend about £350 on tax and insurance plus I reckon my car will depreciate in value by about £400. Without maintenace that works out at 50 pence per mile.
Using the wizard on that link using the same values except for "Small Car, Petrol" and "Medium Family car, Diesel" - the difference in monthly running cost was £1...Pinch of salt with that, Sir?

Being a bit of a stats-freak, I document my TC readings into a Spreadsheet (Link removed due to server error - working on getting it back up) and (providing it's all correct data and calculation wise) I'm running at 28p per mile.

Originally Posted by bpowell555 View Post
Economically a derv makes sense above about 15k per year. Performancewise a derv is often a shortcut to a turbo which means torque. Petrols until recently rarely had turbos but now more do, so if you just want the torque hit (no rev happy driving) you can go the petrol route too. I guess it means there's more choice overall these days
End of the day, with the recent evolution of Diesels, I've seen that you can pretty much get the same power as a Petrol Turbo , with considerably more torque and (most of the time) cheaper insurance. I know however that doesn't hold true for all Turbo variants.

I like the pinned to your seat feeling. Torque helps with that, hence the diesel. That's the kid in me though. Whether it'll be beneficial to my pocket in terms of pump cost to MPG, that's a calculation I'll have to figure out...But hell, I've got at least 3 years to do that!
Currently in tankface's garage:
2006 Black Magic Seat Leon Sport TDI DSG
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome