Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Espace Tailgate Lock - Dog Falls out of Boot... Help!!

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 13th December 2008
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Fishing the Sea Champion
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 11
Originally Posted by lolyton View Post
Hi, My 2000 Renault Espace has developed a problem with the boot shutting mechanism. I can close the boot, but when i lift it fairly gently or drive over a bump it flies open. I hadn't realised this until yesterday when i threw the dogs into the boot for their walk, and just as i had started down the dirt track (about 40mph) one of the dogs (a mastif, os has a bit of weight behind him) lent on the boot and fell out. We turned to see this rather confused looking dog rolling down the road in a cloud of dust. Fortunately the dog is fine, just got up and shook it off without any sign of being upset (he's used to it, he fell of a 20ft overhang last week, he's only 6 months old, but huge already).

So now i decide to try to fix the boot latch, however it's different to most ordinary latches it works with 2 prongs either side of boot. Does anyone know how this type of latch works, or even better how is the best way to go about fixing it?

Any help will be gratefully received.

Hi James i doubt very much that both locks are buggered at the same time, i would imagine it will be where they meet together at the middle of the door handle,you will need to remove the star style torque screws from the handle you use to pull the door down they are hidden behind the handle itself,iam sure there are more down the sides of the door trim and once they are all removed i would guess you will see your problem better when this is removed ,i would guess its the spring loaded mechanism that has split in the middle of the door hence why both locks are not holding,i hope this helps Donald
Currently in Donald's garage:
2005 Mercedes Benz C200 Classic SE Kompresser & 1998 Fiat Cinquecento Fire Sporting,some may say i could do far better?,i say i could do far worse.

Last edited by Donald; 13th December 2008 at 09:26 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome