Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Tailgate lock

Thread: Tailgate lock
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 23rd December 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I had this problem with my previous '92 Espace.

Remove the boot trim (which can be done with the tailgate closed). The trim is held in place with those white plastic christmas tree clips which will obviously break once you go anywhere near them

The problem is the piece if plastic which is connected to the release handle on the exterior of the tailgate. If you operate the central locking and watch what happens you will soon realise whats wrong. Basically the plastic is spring loaded and is supposed to return to its start position once the handle has been squeezed. But over time the spring action is not all that good and as such if you squeeze the tailgate handle in the locked position the plastic moves but does not return.

I fixed the problem by using a hair bobble (still owe the daughter for that one ). Attach the elastic around the plastic and something like a rivet or bolt.

I went on for 6 months with the tailgate working/not working before having a right look at the problem. After litrally 3-5minutes no more problems.........until the head gasket went for a burton!!
Currently in bigpaul's garage:
2000 Suzuki Wagon R+ and 2010 Suzuki Swift GL
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome