Thread: Speedo
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 26th December 2008
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to root-two
Originally Posted by teedee56 View Post
My speedo is only working intermittently and after checking out this forum I understand that the sensor is probably at fault.I think i have located it but can anyone please tell me how to disconnect the wire plug to it and also to remove the sensor?Thanks
Do a search for 'speedo sensor' and it'll pull a load of stuff up, including pics - most of it relates to the Clio but it may well be applicable to the 'guna as well - you'll find instructions on how to do cleaning and changing if required, unless someone's fiddled with all the gen since I looked at it last night

General concensus seems to be that the sensor clips into place, but it can be a royal pain in the backside to gain access to (I can attest to this for the Clio, at least!) A replacement sensor will cost you 25-30+VAT by the looks.

I had intermittent speedo issues travelling up north yesterday. Given that it was also extremely damp and foggy for much of the journey, and the car was a bit reluctant to start yesterday morning, I suspect that some water might have gotten into the sensor and caused it to go open circuit - lovely dry day today and absolutely no problems on the way back. I'm also using my GPS as a 'backup' speedo.

[EDIT: Forgot to add - if the sealing is a bit suspect, a glob of vaseline or similar is a good short term fix]

"No performance at all is vastly preferable to an obscene travesty" - Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji
Currently in root-two's garage:
1999 Clio 1.2RN Grande (D7F)

Last edited by root-two; 26th December 2008 at 02:21 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome