Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Parts warranty question...Help please!!

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 14th May 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Funny you should say that about the oil change intervals..I'm a retired technician myself (ex Renault,VW and Toyota) gave it all up to drive a 32 ton tipper...less stress and more money!!

I pesonally would not leave the oil for 18k/2 years in any engine,I mean when you consider what by-products diesel engines produce its no wonder that they're giving up prematurely.

Be interesting if someone had run a comparison test on oil taken from an engine serviced every 10k/12 months as opposed to that of the recommended intervals.
I'm sure the oil in the higher miler would be far more contaminated.

Another thing to consider on this extended service thing is-did Renault actually specify an approved type of oil that will last the period or did they just say 'we'll go a bit longer on the intervals on the same oil '???

I actually took out a 2yr warranty with the garage I bought it from and they say it has to be serviced every 6k/6months

I'm doing this at the moment just to keep them happy (and my warranty intact!!) but I see no reason why I won't continue to change the oil every 6k.

At the moment i'm using Texaco Havoline extra10w40 semi synthetic (if its good enuf for Toyota and all that )

Do you guys have a specific oil that you recommend??

Currently in rogerreno's garage:
1987 GT Turbo + 1989 R21 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome