Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio - Bodywork - Sun roof leak - 1994 Clio

View Single Post
post #71 of (permalink) Old 1st January 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I bought my son a 1998 Clio 1.2. Delighted with car - until it rained! Couldn't even unlock doors with remote and couldn't start it. First step was to get mobile again and removed receiver from
centre roof console. It was absolutely soaked. Dried it out with tissue and by putting it on hot room radiator for ten minutes. Before re-installing I put it in a small plastic bag and taped it up with insulation tape. We were mobile again but still had the awful leak. It's the only car I've driven that necessitated the use of an umbrella INSIDE the car when it was raining! Over a few months I cleaned all the moving parts without removal. As far as I can detect, there are no drain holes within the frame of the sunroof. The sunroof is a tilt and slide manual version. To give me time to find a solution I taped up the whole sunroof around the frame to body and frame to glass using 2" cloth tape (also called gaffer). Obtained from Screwfix for about 2.50. Didn't look very pretty but gave us the chance to dry the car interior out! It's not the roof aerial on our car as we've had no leaks since using the sealing tape method. Have just removed tape and applied a black roof and gutter sealant (B&Q 3.50) between the frame outer edge and roof panel. I used a plastic spatula to lift the frame slightly as I injected the mastic all the way round before smoothing out with a finger and cleaning up with white spirit. I had contemplated using a black silicone but found that it doesn't stick to painted surfaces very well. Left the tape on the glass to frame so at least we can pinpoint the source of the leak. I am surprised how thin and flexible the roof panel is (thick kitchen foil!). No wonder it's difficult to get a watertight seal between the rigid sunroof frame and flexing roof panel. During the summer, if we have a dry spell (no garage) I am going to remove the sunroof frame and reseal it with a mastic used for sealing in window frames and exterior fittings on caravans. It comes on a roll, is very sticky, about 3mm thick, 20mm wide and can be compressed to obtain a good watertight seal. I've seen it on eBay for about 8.00. A lot cheaper than a replacement gasket at about 80 from Renault! One thing still baffles me though. What does happen to the rainwater which collects between the outer rubber seal which is compressed by the closed sunroof glass and the inner sunroof frame as there are no drain holes?

Last edited by jamiechalmers; 1st January 2009 at 11:20 PM. Reason: additional info
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome