Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Dealership work quote -, is this reasonable?

View Single Post
post #19 of (permalink) Old 4th January 2009
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by garyc8086 View Post
Firstly can I say many thanks for all your replies.

What I can conclude from your help is :-

1. That the dealership prices can be as much as double what I would expect at an independant. This appears to be because of high labour charges. I did suspect I was getting over charged which is what prompted me to make the original post. I was not certain if it was just me or a general thing. I accept that they offer a very professional & friendly service, nice show room etc. however next time I think I'll be keeping the cash.

2. The timing belt MUST be done because of the cars age however I should be looking to pay 150 to 170. There is not something "special" about the Clio belt or its fitting that should cause it to be more expensive than my Mondeo's was.

3. The 60 for the spark plugs change was trying it on. They cost about 10 - 15 and can be fitted in half an hour.

4. The problems with my real axle bushes could well be caused by the speed humps in my area. Don't worry about them too much until they start making a noise or fit it in when the cars in for other work.

Many many thanks once again.

totally agree with all that gary. i used to work for a renault stealer and their labour rates are stupidly high.

timing belt on one of them should be real cheap as they are so easy to do.

rear axle bushes. in the 5 years i worked there i cannot recall any of the 14 technicians ever replacing worn rear bushes on a 5 year old clio 2 especially with 34k on the clocks. (was the lag 2's that have very poor rear axle bushes). just ask the independent garage to have a quick check when they do your timing belt. they should be willing to check it over for free as only takes a few mins

Don't hate speed bumps, they make girls boobs jiggle! :P
On second thought do hate speed bumps when you have Tein S-Tech springs fitted. They're serious teeth and backbreakers
Currently in Reece_P's garage:
Vauxhall Vectra B 1999 SRi V6
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome