Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane - Engines - Chugging Megane - Toxic Fume Filter

View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 16th May 2006
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via Skype™ to SamWoerth
Toxic Fume /Emissions indicator light on coupled with chugging. Megane Expression + 1.4 2002

Book says - Get it into Renault dealer FAST. You can damage the Limbardy sensor if you do not.
My symptoms exactly too!
Called in at the nearest Renault Garage,
Charming receptionist declared (with knowledge of a perhaps common fault)
'We'll put it on the computer - 88.'
So as it was still on warranty plus a Bank Holiday weekend. I decided to soldier on for three days.
Meanwhile handbook/Haynes manual indicated the fault would be either a. Pencil coil b. spark plug
Renault garage quotes 43 each part - For me to fit.
Dealer (non Franchise) who I got it from calls in an electrical motor engineer. His computer confirms spark or emission fault.
There are four on the Megane, but machine does not say which or how many are ast fault. Apparently number TWO (from the left.) Usually goes first, however other may go faulty later.
Haynes idea - Taking off the electric leads in turn - indicated nothing with my car.
A substitute coil from a Megane on the garage forecourt solves the fault. After carefully unplugging the wire. One retaining small bolt - two minutes of a job. But we have to use another computer to reset the still retained dashboard warning signal.
Total time away from my village including 20 mile round journey 85 minutes. Brilliant service from my non-franchise dealer - he sells plenty of Renaults.

But there is a sequel. These pencil coils sit in the engine, get bloody hot, work extremely hard and do apparently fail.
So I needed spares, plus to replace the standin secondhand unit. Hence the INTERNET and a call for replacement coils . Even EBay (just one company) offers them. However my request for quotations on ignition coils
resulted in four phone calls in 17 minutes. Remarkable speed, all less than the Renault quote of 43 each.
I decided to buy four - cost 65 including VAT, guaranteed overnight delivery from 300 miles away. So easy it was a joy. The parts were delivered by 10.30 am although only ordered late PM the day before.
Oh and there is a THREE YEAR Warranty on these coils .

My dealer was so intrigued with my bargain he had me get him a batch of four too.

I love Renaults especially this Expression + however after the 11 & 19 this sophisticated motor will require a PhD coupled to advanced computer techniques for maintenance. It does help also to shop around for parts as well.

Three year warantry - WOW - my new TV gives me a year only and it would cost an extra 59 to extend it.

My spare supplier (I'm not trade incidentally) does most electronic bits on three year warantry also. Amazing.
I have a Renault F1 racing hat -so at least I'm contributing towards that pastime. But I very much doubt that any vehicle maufacturer, let alone Renault give 3 years on spares.
Sam Woerth
Currently in SamWoerth's garage:
1.6 Megane Saloon MkII 04 - previous MkI - wrote off- back ended
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome