Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Importing car from EU

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 7th January 2009
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Originally Posted by secondmouse View Post
Was thinking of importing a car from the EU (Ireland) - newish car (it has only Kms on the speedometer). I haven't received a response yet from

Aside from the 55 registration fee will I have to convert to MPH and how much roughly if so would this be? Sorry in advance for mainly posting only when I want info
Hi secondmouse,

I doubt you'll have to worry about converting the speedo to MPH for UK use. I've seen plenty of imported Jap bikes running KPH speedos in the UK with just stickers on them indicating 30mph and 70mph stuck on by the owner.

There are conversion kits available to change the gearing of the speedo cable so a KPH speedo reads MPH instead, but I've only every seen these for bikes. More than likely work on a car though.

You did say it was a newish car so the speedo is prob electronic, not sure if you can get a kit to convert these as they normaly run through the ECU from the ABS sensor. An auto electriction might be able to help though, as to cost I wouldn't have a clue.

Other option could be a Lockwood dial kit or similar to stick over the orginal speedo. A UK spec one would display KPH and MPH and the KPH incraments should be the same.

EDIT: just found this link for you for an electronic KPH to MPH conversion, not bad at 65 either.
Currently in Mikey's garage:
1996 Mazda MX-3 V6, a 2002 1.2 8v Fiat Punto active (the Wife's!) and a 1998 Suzuki GN 125. Used to own a 2002 Laguna II Dynamique 1.8 16V (Now Sold yey!)

Last edited by Mikey; 7th January 2009 at 02:35 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome