Independent Renault Forums banner

Air recirculating flap clicking ~ FIX

114K views 66 replies 44 participants last post by  arsovski_miki 
#1 ·
hi, new to this forum but may be able to help with the clicking vent flap problem, i have just done 1 on megane 99 (without aircon) u need to take off passenger wiper arm remove plastic vent panel, disconnect wiring connectors, undo blower motor housing and remove, u will then be able to remove the recirculating flap assembly, what normally happens is a tooth on one of the cogs break off. just replaced from scrap yard £5 works fine, obviously check yours befor replacing but this is what normally happens. only takes 10 minutes to find out , saves paying silly garage prices.Richard

#6 ·
Hi, I too have this issue and have disconnected the motor without too much trouble. The thing I am unsure about is the position for the flap - Obviously kept open to allow fresh air is the best option but is open with the flap pulled up with a wire or when in the 'broken' position that bangs when the door is closed? My initial thought is that pulled up would be keeping it open but I am not 100% sure. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

#7 ·
If you switch the blower on to its highest setting. When the flap is at the fesh air position you should be able to hear the air being drawn in via the scuttle panel. When closed it will sounds distinctly different. Better still you could try a squirt of air freshener or a few smelly socks at the external vent and see if the odour is drawn inside the car:d

#10 ·
Hello everybody

I may be the newest member in "Tick Tick Recirculation flap Megane owners club"::loser:

My clicking started 2 days back & I found the information in this page very usefull, thanks a LOT guys.

My one is left hand drive with an air con. I was looking to disable the flap control, but my air box seems to have lot of wires coming in.
One pair is black & red, thick, that should be the main power cable to the motor
Other connector has abount 6 wires in it, does anyone have the connector configuration? I can post a picture,

Thanks!

#11 ·
Cool tip ... I'm in the club also :rolleyes: --- it sounds though like it does eventually "bite" in either direction after a few tries, and *something* happens to the airflow through the vents, so it may be salvagable. Or perhaps I can use a bit of old airfix plastic-cement stuff to repair it with some leftover bits of lego technic my bro didn't take with him :D

So long as it stays good weather while I'm sorting out the gearbox oil I may give this a look. Did we ever figure out whether "up" or "down" (or whatever direction) was the fresh air setting?

:sunny::mechanic::baseballbat::p

#12 ·
Many thanks Rick. I've been wondering what that sound was for the past one year. Even a couple of mechanics told that it was normal. I didn't bother too much but thought I would search for some fixes and found your fix.

Subsequently went through the Haynes manual for a step by step instruction for removing the recirculation valve flap motor.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Mine is a Right Hand drive with AC. Can you please tell me where you got the spare one from? Did you just get the spare cog wheel or the full set - motor and flap drive gear for 5 quid? Also, Can you please post me the scrap yard address?

2. What is the purpose of this motor and flap drive gear and why does it get kicked off when we put on the ignition key? Since it doesnt work now, does it mean, I / We have been driving with the circulation mode turned off?

Regards
Shankar

#13 ·
Same clonking problem. Opted for the disconnect the power to the flap motor\sensor as this was with air con. Took 20 miniutes - wonderful fix, since the Megane manual says it is bad to have the internal flow option on for long anyhow. Very Happy. New Camera for Xmas, so took loads of photos. (attached here in zip file).
Good luck.
What a relief.
Thanks especially to markd.
Tony

#14 ·
Your post worries me a little as others say that the defualt position is open and it shuts when you turn the engine on to stop your own engine fumes getting into the car. Does anyone know if the flap is open i.e. lettting fresh air into the car when the thing is disconnected.
Much appreciated. One of the people who have attempted to get to the cog must know.
Thanks in advance.

#17 ·
Mine packed in about 3 months ago.
Mine is the aircon model, so rather tricky to get at.
I removed the gear to find a broken tooth.
With the gear removed alltogether, the flap bounces up and down everytime you close the doors. The way I overcam it was to refit the gear slightly out of alignment, then remove the cable connection..
Mine is now locked 50/50

#18 ·
Does that mean that the flap is allowing air from the outside in when the motor is unplugged. What would you say..having been there!
Cheers

To System person....what happened to my zip file of photos that I posted and which have been there for about a month - downloaded about 50 times - but not there today?
Thanks

G
#19 ·
To System person....what happened to my zip file of photos that I posted and which have been there for about a month - downloaded about 50 times - but not there today?
Thanks
This is probably one of a handful of attachments that were causing problems in the migration of our database to our new dedicated server. They have been detached and will be reattached on completion of the migration.

#20 ·
Ok thanks Selwonk.
I guess someone out of the 50 has found them useful but no posts or thanks. Never mind. I only posted them because one peron said how about some pictures...and I had a new camera.
PS We haven't fainted whilst driving and the windows don't mist up overly - hence I guess this simple disconnecting fix that I used (and there will be photos for) is OK. Any feed back would be good epecially Keat who has been down in the bowels and had a look.

#27 ·
Tony & Rick,

Thanks a ton guys. The disconnection fix was easy. Tony - Did you manage to find out if the flap will be open or closed? sprayed a bit of perfume on the external vents and switched the blower on, I can smell it inside the car.. So looks like the default position is open.

Shanky

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.