Thread: Safrane 2.5
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 9th January 2009
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Send a message via MSN to Tiggerz_SRi
az, Delta1066 says.......

"Hi AZ Once you've had a Safrane you'll never look back at another car. They are wonderful. The only thing about them is the cost of maintenance - NOT cheap. I've got a few electrical gremlins at the moment along with the suspension needing attention (though it passed it's MOT yesterday) and the cambelt still needs sorting. Despite all that I wouldn't part with it for all the tea in china. It's a great car, totally luxurious, reliable Volvo engine, plenty of gadgets and the most comfortable leather seating you will ever find. Plus the body is rather unique. Every side of the car is a seperate panel. Unlike nearly all cars these days which are one big panel at the back, the safrane is literally panels all over. The roof is a seperate panel from all the sides. Should you need a side rebuilding, you won't need to cut the car up to do it.

The safrane really is a work of art from Renault and frankly it is probably the best car they ever produced. The only fault I can find with it (thanks to Volvo ironically) is that they use cambelts and not chains. Once you've had one of these cars it's hard to go back to anything else. I love the saff even though the quick clear windscreen has become intermittent. Good models are becoming hard to find these days as most are being sold with damaged leather, kerbed alloys etc but you can still find the odd nice one floating around. I'll also point out that you can pick them up dirt cheap compared to a Vauxhall Omega of the same size and standard. Renault thought of almost everything with this car. The only thing it lacks is a glove box and drinks holders. If you can live without those this is the car for you. When the megane & bravo died I had 3 requirements for a replacement car - 1) Cheap 2) reliable 3) Both combined. The Safrane met all 3. Since last February I've not spent a penny on maintenance on it (though it does need it). I only spent 200 when having the oil sump repaired. The car still drives (even on its dodgy cambelt) although I do have a major electronics fault I need sorting (400 quote from the local renault stealership).

The only problem as mentioned above is spares prices. Renault charge a fotune for the electronics and programming side of things. Mechanical parts aren't too bad as you can get those from other places (Unipart, GSF etc). I can only say that I love the saff, it does have niggles which wind me up sometimes but compared to other cars it has actually been a great runner. They're now so cheap that they're almost disposable too.

@KP: Sorry to hear of your incident.. Don't let the car go though even if the insurance company decide its beyond eco repair. Keep it, get it sorted. You'll only miss it once its gone! Well guys, It's been ages and probably will be again... Cheerio Delta."
Currently in Tiggerz_SRi's garage:
Audi a4 v6 avant, used to have bmw 525d se estate, 2001 Toyota Previa 2.4 VVTi GLS, '98 R FORD Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X a Espace III 2.2dT RXE and a Lag I 1.8RT!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome