Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault battery charging

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 9th January 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Renault battery charging

This is on my Laguna 11

After seeing a post about charging batteries and the problem of loosing settings in the car and possible damage by leaving the battery connected whilst charging I decided to charge mine using a method I found in another post on the forum.

See the photo............

First thing I did was to charge The old 12 volt battery from my Motorbike and make up two leads with the battery clamps from halfords.

Connect the negative lead from the spare battery to the car battery negative post, you can leave the car negative battery lead connected to the battery. Then connect the spare battery positive lead to the car battery positive clamp, then remove the positive lead off the battery, the car electrics will now be powered by the 12 volt motorcycle battery.

The white square you can see is a block of rubber to isolate the positive clamp from coming into contact with the Positive post on the battery.

Now you can charge the car battery in the usual way, the red and black wires coming up from the bottom right are from my battery charger.

You can modify the connections to also replace the battery.

It was a relief when I had fully charged the battery, removed the charging leads, put the Positive clamp back on and the car started OK and no settings were lost !

After all that I found it only took about 2 hours on trickle charge to fully charge my battery so it didn't need doing anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Charging.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	6803  

A problem well stated is a problem half solved !
Currently in davesss's garage:
2002 Laguna Sports Tourer 1.8 Dynamique Moondust VF1KGOB, Fiat Siecento Micheal Schumaker, Kawasaki KLE M/Cycle and a cheap Mountain Bike.

Last edited by davesss; 24th May 2011 at 10:03 AM.
  5 Lastest Threads by davesss
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Fast Car ! General Chat madnoel10 5 1202 3rd October 2012 04:20 PM
Lag 11 1.9 diesel tubo problem Other makes faram21 7 4230 16th April 2012 11:03 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome