Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Clio 2 - Central Locking Issue

16K views 25 replies 2 participants last post by  mike h 
#1 ·
Cheers for the hello Selwonk!

Interesting one for you all...

Car - Renault Clio 1.4 RT 1999 S Reg. 5 Door

Few weeks ago the Central Locking Infrared Key Fob died on me and not wanting to be ripped off by Renault for a new key :d , I sucessfully installed an aftermarket RF Remote Central Locking Unit.

All has been fine for several weeks now. Then randomly earlier on today without any warning whatsoever (i.e all was fine up until this afternoon), only the passenger (left side) door's central locking operates and all other doors refuse to unlock (they are stuck locked so the central locking is not operating in these doors).

Managed to manually get the drivers door open but the 2 rear doors remain locked tight (plungers stuck down) and the key will not even unlock the boot lock which is also stuck locked.

I've checked fuses and tried the system using the internal console central locking rocker switch and with the aftermarket device disconnected. No joy. I've also had the battery disconnected to try a reset. Still no joy.

I could understand if nothing works (fuse or relay issue maybe), but the fact is the one door is actually working and i have absolutely no clue why the others don't!!

I find it hard to believe that all the other door lock motors have failed apart from the passenger one. I see no reason why a wire would come loose since i haven't touched anything out of the norm since this morning.

Any ideas? Much Appreciated! :)

Cheers, Razza

See less See more
#6 ·
The circuit diagram in the Haynes Manual implies that all the 5 door motors are linked to a common line (presumably in a loop).

I wonder if the wiring from the control unit goes first into the passenger door (makes sense since the relay units and fuses are on that side) and then from there loops round the car to all the other doors.

Now if that link away from the passenger door (and i have no idea where it goes from there) is compromised for some reason that might explain the lack of lock operation in the other doors.

Something else - i've noticed the rear right hand side door sometimes makes a "noise" when an attempt is made to lock the doors (obviously on the passesnger side responds) but no action of the lock is observed.

Very strange!!

#11 ·
selwonk said:
As you say though, you've not changed anything anywhere near the rear doors? Does the wiring go through the B pillar?
It does yes but it's so difficult to track through the car. If the rear door actuator is on the way out that could be effecting the feedline to the other doors that are not operating

G
#12 ·
razza said:
It does yes but it's so difficult to track through the car. If the rear door actuator is on the way out that could be effecting the feedline to the other doors that are not operating
I would have thought that this would indicate it's getting power at least to this door, and I suppose it's likely that even if the actuator was faulty, it would not interrupt the feed? To be honest, I'm no auto-electrician and my posts are based on experiences with the wife's R-ref 214. In the Haynes manual, how many fuses control the CDL?

#16 ·
selwonk said:
Sorry not to be of more help. The forum has only been live since this afternoon, so we don't have a wave of willing volunteers YET. We have some contacts in the motor trade, including a very experienced auto-electrician. We will put the problem to him and see if he has had any experience of the fault...

In the meantime, make sure you subscribe to this thread. We are working over the next few days to start to build up a user base and the more members we get, the more likely we are to be able to solve this type of problem
It'll be great to get someone experienced on the case - cheers!

G
#20 ·
razza said:
Yeah - that looks good thanks. I'll go ahead and register. They seem to have all the info i need. I assume a "Clio II" refers to the Mark II which the new shape Clio i have

Razza
Yep - it does. Looks like it's a few Euros for a specific time of access. It might work out cheaper to get an electronic part catalogue/workshop manual off eBay. I've just asked OG if this was included on his disk - no doubt you can get a similar CD for the Clio...

G
#22 ·
selwonk said:
OG bought a CD off eBay for his Grand Espace. I'll ask him whether that included a wiring diagram...
Not sure off hand, they cover pretty much everything though. The disks are at work so I can't do anything until Monday.

selwonk said:
This might be of use - 20 euros and 24 hour delivery:

http://www.datamanuals.com/nrenaultcomp.htm

This is for 2 CDs covering a wide range of Renault models
If I'm not mistaken the disks I've got cover the Renault range rather than just the Espace so if it is on there then we're laughing.

Razza - I'll let you know Monday am

#24 ·
OG said:
Not sure off hand, they cover pretty much everything though. The disks are at work so I can't do anything until Monday.

If I'm not mistaken the disks I've got cover the Renault range rather than just the Espace so if it is on there then we're laughing.

Razza - I'll let you know Monday am
Cheers guys - appreciate all your help!

Razza

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.