Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Warranty - Opinions on Extended Warrantys

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 12th January 2009
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
The Renault warranty is probably your safest bet. It claims to be equivalent to the original warranty (i.e. everything that would be covered in the first 3 years or 60K is covered up to the limit of the extended warranty.) You need to take it out before the original warranty expires - presumably they do this to protect themselves from people who take out the warranty because the car developed a fault just outside of the manufacturer's warranty period.

There may be some third party warranties that are just as good or better, but tread carefully and read the small print. Lots of them have excesses or limits to the amount you can claim, and some exclude the very things that you really want guaranteed, either because they're likely failures or will cost four figures to put right.

One of the ones I contacted was able to offer better cover for the same money if I took the warranty out before the factory one expired. Again, I think they're worried about claiming for faults that you already know about when you took out the policy, so they're prepared to offer you better cover on the basis that if the car had a fault, you'd have had it fixed under the manufacturer's warranty anyway.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome