Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Should I/do I need to....

View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 19th January 2009
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
The parking guidelines set out by the Highway Code are probably more appropriate now than ever. Since they were written there has been one big change in the design of brakes. As more cars now have disc operated handbrakes the liklihood of a car drifting off when the handbrake is applied is much higher.
With the old drum style brakes when the drum contracted as it cooled the pressure applied increased its grip on the linings whereas the opposite is true when it comes to disc brakes as when they cool and contract the pressure on the pads decreases.
If memory serves me correctly there is a member of the forum who returned to his van and found it had drifed off on its own down a hill

In all honesty I prefer to ensure my handbrake is firmly applied and the car in gear and wheels pointed to the kerb where appropriate. I would dread to think what would happen if my car rolled up a pavement and struck an innocent pedestrian especially a mother and/or child.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome