Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Card not Detected

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 21st January 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Card not Detected

First post here as this seems to be the most active (and informative) of all the Renault forums I've looked at today, trying to find info on my car problems.

Right the history of the problem:

I have a 2003 Megane II 1.4 Expression and last week it had it's 54k service, no problems.

On Sunday, the handbrake seemed to stop working so booked it back into the garage where it had been serviced (a little independent, not a dealer). Dropped it off there this morning and awaited to see what was up with it.

Got a phone call around 11am saying that the car wouldn't start. So I walked back up to the garage and had a look myself and I get the message 'Card not Detected' on the dash. So in 2 hours it went from working to not working. The doors lock and unlock fine and after reading other posts I'm afraid to say I didn't try the lights inside.

My other keycard is in York (the garage is in Barnsley) and I can't get to it until later today so don't know if that works or not yet.

My questions are as follows:

1- What is the most likely fault, the card or the reader?

2- If it's the card at fault, what will be the approximate cost to get a replacement and/or should I just wait until the spare one goes?

3- If it's the reader at fault, what will be the approximate cost and is it an easy fix?

For the above I'm mainly after the rough cost of the parts as I know the labour charges at the garage. Any help/answers and anything else I may need to know that I've missed would be very much appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Currently in JamDunc's garage:
2003 Renault Megane II 1.4 Expression
  5 Lastest Threads by JamDunc
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Hullo! Welcome to RenaultForums Tink 5 846 21st January 2009 12:24 PM
Card not Detected Electronics madnoel10 1 942 21st January 2009 12:16 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome