Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Ubuntu Carputer Interface

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 2nd February 2009
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by stormie View Post
Hi Guys, I've built an ubuntu carputer into my car and I'm developing software to manage the whole car a either autonomously or via a touch-screen dash console, probably both, However I'm a bit stuck on deciding what interface hardware to implement....Bluetooth would be best but the data-rate is way too slow and it may suffer interferance from other r/f devices. The alternative I'm considering at the moment is firewire which is used in aeroplanes and military vehicles (IEEE 1394b).
Let me know what you think anyway....Cheers, And if anyone needs help with a carputer ask me.
I think good old wired Ethernet is probably the way to go. It's a balanced protocol, so interference shouldnt be a problem, and you can always go with screened cable if you're worried. You can run low voltage low current over the CAT5E or CAT6 cable too if needed (though not with gigabit as it uses all eight cores.) There's plenty of accessories available (switches, NAS hard drives, media players etc.) and they're generally cheap as chips.

If it happened to be a later car and you wanted to be clever, then it might be fun trying to integrate the new systems into the existing Canbus network. That's making things unnecessarily complicated, but if you like a challenge...
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.

Last edited by Horatio; 2nd February 2009 at 08:41 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome