Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Idiots and the snow

View Single Post
post #29 of (permalink) Old 2nd February 2009
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Two years ago I made a late afternoon delivery to a house in North London somewhere (Enfield I think it was). Anyway they'd had the snow quite bad down there and as I turned into the street of destination I noticed it was a long dead end and pretty steep to the bottom of it with pretty deep snow and slush. Checking which house number it was to my dismay it was at the very bottom of the hill The item of furniture in the back was way to heavy to carry down the hill safely, we would have slipped over trying it. I wasn't going to cancel the delivery after having been on the road for hours so gingerly down the hill I went. Didn't skid or slip at all much to my relief. Unloaded the furniture and I looked on as a guy in a car was desperately trying to drive up the street. He wasn't getting anywhere. The bloke I had delivered to went and grabbed a snow shovel - "I think we'll need to dig a path out you mate" he said. Maybe, but I'll have a go anyway said I. 2nd gear, the lightest of throttle and the van sailed up the hill no probs, leaving behind the chap in the car at the bottom of the hill

I had some training in "winter driving" many moons ago on a skid pan and also driving in snow (fortunately there was plenty lying on the ground at the time) It always stuck with me. Most important is to not make the journey unless you really have to, and be prepared for the worst if you do

The Vauxhall Cavalier - one of the safest cars you'll bump into
Currently in Bob925's garage:
2015 '65 Vauxhall Astra SRi, and a variety of "lovely" buses
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome