Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Silver pearlescent paint

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 7th February 2009
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by VELSATIS 2.2DCI View Post
Hi i do bodywork and spray cars for a living, I would advise against using a spray can for your bumpers as from my experiance you wont get the result you are looking for.
Lacquer out of a can wont hold a shine to save its life and you could spend quite a lot on money buying the stuff to do it yourself only to be unhappy with the finished job.
Save up and have a good scout round you area and look for a small bodyshop and get a quote, and say you will pay cash. Tell them that you will remove and rub down the bumpers and you only need them painting basecoat and 2k laquer.
Dont bother with the big accident repair shops as they will fleece you.

The plastic trims come out from the back of the bumper once its of the car.
rattle cans are OK for small touch-ups, but not so good for large areas. Get it done professionally if you want it to look good.

Have to say though that I have used aerosol lacquer (UPol IIRC from auto paint supplier) with excellent results / shine on small areas.

Out of interest, are the bumpers colour coded at the moment? If they are factory original unpainted ones and you want to colour code them, you will probably find that they are textured and will not look like the rest of the bodywork when painted. The factory painted ones start life as smooth plastic so that they match the bodywork when painted.

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow...

Wanna see what I drive? No pics of the latest Passat, but you can see the Scenic II here and the CB1000R here!

Previous Passat here and Bandit here.
Currently in martin999's garage:
2011 (11) VW Passat 2.0 TDi SE + options in Island Grey, 2011 (11) Honda CB1000R in Pearl Cool White... oh and a 2004 (54) Secnic II 1.5dCi Dynamique in Ottoman Blue !
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome