Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Replacement Key Card From France

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 8th February 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Replacement Key Card From France

On Sat 31st Jan my wife lost her card for her 53 plate Scenic. The other card we posses has developed the "card not detected" fault (as mentioned in another thread) and is inside her handbag in the boot of the car.

We took all the registration documents to the local stealer who charged us 90 plus to order a new card and blade from France.

We collected this from the stealer on Sat 7th and although I knew we would not be able to drive the car at least we could get into it, recover some needed belongings and make a start on moving the car from the shopping car park where thankfully it has remained untouched for the week.

The new key does not work!!!

Insert the newly cut blade (by Renault using their information) and it just turns in the lock.

I can see 3 possible reasons.

1. The new blade has been cut incorrectly

2. The internal mechanism of the lock is faulty

3. The lock has been changed before we bought the car and Renault were unaware of this.

No. 3 I think unlikely as we have the full service history and there is no mention of any locks or locking problems.

No. 2 is possible but then it is going to be more money from us as it is our problem (car long out of warranty)

No. 1 is my hopeful choice as the dealer would be required to sort it out.

However I can see this is going to cost a great deal more than my initial depressing thoughts.

I am tempted to smash a window now, press the unlocking button by the gear lever and then at least we can get the "unreadable" card and hopefully move the car.

Does the central unlock button inside work when the car is in this locked state? This would seem to be a security flaw in an otherwise very secure car if you can open it in this way.

Unless anyone else has any suggestions
Currently in Zog's garage:
Laguna II Turbo Est while the better half drives a Scenic 1.4
  5 Lastest Threads by Zog
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Replacement Key Card From France Electronics Nick 24 6401 8th February 2009 05:06 PM
Automatic Lighting Light Level Electronics SportTourer 4 1154 21st January 2009 06:00 PM
Keycard not being read Electronics Zog 4 1273 27th November 2008 10:40 AM
Can you Identify This LED Please Electronics bigiainw 8 1663 27th October 2008 06:09 PM
Electric Windows Problem (but different) Bodywork tinker2 2 1198 14th June 2008 07:36 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome