Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Engines - Turbo Diesel Engine Problems

View Single Post
post #30 of (permalink) Old 21st May 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Worrying incident - turbo about to give up the ghost??

Hello all,

I have previously read all the lengthy discussions re: duff turbos on Lag II's - but decided to be optimistic and hope that out of some mystical good fortune, my turbo may stand the test of time (52 plate 1.9dci - 56k miles).

Hmmm, but yesterday something happened Whilst driving with the Mrs through the Pennines we worked our way down a lengthy steep downhill section of road. When getting to the bottom and engine ummphh was again required to climb a small hill, I put my foot down and got pretty much nothing from the dci lump. Best description is to say that with right foot fully on the floor, the revs climbed very slowly - and I don't think the turbo was kicking in at all. To be honest it felt like the engine was not breathing - there was no power at all. Lag II crawled along at less than 10 miles an hour until we arrived at our destination (fortunately only 400 yards further down road). I got no warning lights on the dash to suggest any problems.

This morning, when heading home - it was back to normal. Now then, does this suggest early symptoms of a turbo about to kick the bucket? Or is there a chance that before the steep downhill, the intense rain and soaked road may have dampened a connection or something?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Currently in LagunaPaul's garage:
2002 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome