Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Replacement Key Card From France

View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 10th February 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Zog View Post
On Sat 31st Jan my wife lost her card for her 53 plate Scenic. The other card we posses has developed the "card not detected" fault (as mentioned in another thread) and is inside her handbag in the boot of the car.

We took all the registration documents to the local stealer who charged us 90 plus to order a new card and blade from France.

We collected this from the stealer on Sat 7th and although I knew we would not be able to drive the car at least we could get into it, recover some needed belongings and make a start on moving the car from the shopping car park where thankfully it has remained untouched for the week.

The new key does not work!!!

Insert the newly cut blade (by Renault using their information) and it just turns in the lock.

I can see 3 possible reasons.

1. The new blade has been cut incorrectly

2. The internal mechanism of the lock is faulty

3. The lock has been changed before we bought the car and Renault were unaware of this.

No. 3 I think unlikely as we have the full service history and there is no mention of any locks or locking problems.

No. 2 is possible but then it is going to be more money from us as it is our problem (car long out of warranty)

No. 1 is my hopeful choice as the dealer would be required to sort it out.

However I can see this is going to cost a great deal more than my initial depressing thoughts.

I am tempted to smash a window now, press the unlocking button by the gear lever and then at least we can get the "unreadable" card and hopefully move the car.

Does the central unlock button inside work when the car is in this locked state? This would seem to be a security flaw in an otherwise very secure car if you can open it in this way.

Unless anyone else has any suggestions
Hi, if its deadlocked the central locking button will not unlock the car, also smashing a window will achieve nothing. I would put money on the blade being cut wrong as its the parts dept at the dealer who supplies renault with the details of the cut. If they were having a 'I cant be arsed day' then 1 wrong digit inputted will result in the wrong cut on the blade. I would suggest getting intouch with the dealer and double checking the details given for the blade.
Currently in payne3400's garage:
Clio V6, Cavalier TD, Pug 205 turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome