Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Kangoo wont start, also cutting out

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12th February 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Hi, ive just registered on this forum, as i have a problem with my van, a kangoo 1.5dci 53 plate.
Ive done a search and rear through all posts that are similar, but my van has a few problems so thought id post up:

first problem, interior central locking switch doesnt work, nothing when pressed. ive removed the 2 screws at the front end of the centre console, but cant seem to remove it, tried pulling quite hard at the back end, and even though the front end lifts up fine, its still attached somewhere??

also, a while back i had trouble with starting it, the glow plug light wouldnt illuminate, so on/off with the ignition a few times and the light came on and it started. however, this gradually got worse, anything up to 20mins on/off before it illuminated.
so, about a month ago, i disconnected the battery, and while it was disconnected i unplugged and cleaned the following, none of which looked dirty:
glow plug relay
fuses in engine bay
relays in engine bay
then reconnected the battery. turned the key, glow plug light came on and it started, and has been fine since....

...until the other day, when the engine cut out on me while driving, first time, water temp guage and rev counter guage dropped (hadnt pressed clutch yet so engine was still turning almost the same speed) and engine cut, ignition and headlights remained on.
second time, about 5mins later, same again.

left the van overnight, then next morning (day before yesterday) drove 35miles to my uncles (doing some work for him), ran fine.
however, on the way home, about 15miles into the journey it cut out, then did this about 6 times within the next say 5 miles, then ran fine all the way home.

yesterday morning, same again, drove 35miles to uncles, ran fine.
on way home, about 3 miles into the journey, cut out on me again, then again about 2 mins later, but after that ran fine.

so i thought id have a look to see if the cam and crank sensors are clean as didnt know what else to look at. taking into account i was doing this with a torch, i gave the cam sensor a miss as it looks like the engine mount needs to come off to get the sensor unbolted.
got the crank sensor out, bit grubby and a few iron filings. cleaned/refitted.
started the engine, idled for about 10secs then cut out, restarted, idled then i revved it slightly, cut out.

then....glow plug light not illuminating, and hasnt done since, cant get it started. tried the on/off with the key, nothing.
so i cleaned all the fuses/relays and disconnected battery, still the same.
i tried the re-sync, but cant as my interior lock button isnt doing anything.

i looked at the immobiliser light on the instrument panel:
van locked, light flashing steady.
press key to unlock, van opens, light goes off momentarily (say it misses one flash as the button is pressed).
then continues to flash steady.
key in ignition, turn to pre ignition and the immobiliser light stays on constant, no glow plug light.
immobiliser light wont go out, glow plug light wont come on, engine cranks fine but nothing.

both keys work and batteries fine in both, any ideas?

from reading posts on here, im guessing that its recognising the key chip due to the light going from flashing to constant?

any help would be greatly appreciated, as im off work today due to this so am having a look at anything i can on the van.

thanks, ian
Currently in ian_north_wales's garage:
kangoo 1.5dci 53 plate van

Last edited by Pat.w; 15th February 2009 at 07:31 PM.
  5 Lastest Threads by ian_north_wales
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Kangoo wont start, also cutting out Electronics evansingrid5 6 2879 12th February 2009 12:30 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome