Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna 2 V6 Coil Problem (I think!)

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12th February 2009
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDom1 View Post

Today I have noticed that my Laguna 2 V6 has started idling weirdly and running very poorly, when driving home the whole car seemed to be vibrating! It also seems to be misfiring and I have a lack of power as well.

I think itís one of the coils , but not to sure! I phoned Halfords (not the best place for a quote I know) and they have told me that I canít just replace one coil by its self, they said that I have too replace 3 coils at a time as there is a specific location for each coil and the engine management system knows what coil goes where! Is this true?
They quoted me £112.12 for each coil but they could not just sell one as they come in a pack of 3 so a total of £336.36!

After doing a lot of reading I seem to be getting the impression that you can replace just 1 coil by itself! Is this true?

If so, do I need a specific coil for the location of the one that has failed or can I buy just one coil and put it in its place?

Also, I know itís a pencil type coil but will any coil for any Laguna 2 fit? Or is there one specific for the V6 model?

My car is a 2002

Please help

The coils are specific to the V6 engine,although they are all the same for the 6 cylinders(if you see what I mean).They are available aftermarket,and certaintly much cheaper than the Halfords quote.

You can change them individually,the front bank is easy to do,the rear one less so because of the inlet manifold.If it's the same manifold thats fitted to the same engine in Peugeot 406's,then it's possible to undo the bolts holding it and lifting it up enough to get to the coils without completely removing the whole manifold,but it may be a different arrangement.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome