Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio II - Heating and Cooling - Poor cabin fan performance

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12th February 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Hi All the blower fan packed up on my MK1 Clio this week without warning. Total failure all speeds.
Steps to my solution.
1: Fuse checked out OK.

2: Power in & out of fan speed switch on dashboard. You have to remove the stereo holder to gain access to 2 torx screws which hold the switch in place.

3: Removed all the external trim below the windscreen (5 torx head fasteners). Then the wiper motor & linkage (comes out as 1 only 3 bolts) to gain access to the blower motor.

4: Unplugged the connector to the motor housing & checked for a voltage at the plug (all speeds Haynes manual useful to ID the pin no's).

5: Plugged the connector back in & finally removed the main motor leads from the motor (red & black) & checked them. No volts measured on meter on all speeds.

6: Removed the blower motor (2 bolts) & then set about checking the speed controlling resistors built into the fan housing. That is the socket on the side the wires go in & out of. It is held in place by 2 torx screws & clips. Once prised out you can see two resistance coils either side of a thermal fuse.

7: Upon checking the continuity of the coils I found them to be OK but the thermal fuse had blown. The hard bit was removing the fuse, cleaning it up so I could try & see what rating it was with my magnifying glass. It looked like 104 degrees so I visited my local electronics parts supplier & purchased a replacement (the closest rating I could get was 98 degrees) for the grand sum of 33p+VAT.

8: I carefully replaced the fuse & the wiring & tested the motor with the help of a friend adjusting the switch speeds while I held the blower (careful with you fingers). All OK so now it is just a case of putting it back how it came out.

Hope this helps, Tony........
Currently in AustinClio's garage:
1.2 Expression +
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome